What is not measured, is not improved.
If you wish to optimize your print on demand (POD) retailer, finding out the information of different shops can positively assist.
And right this moment, we’ve got an inventory of 32 print on demand statistics for you!
To search out these statistics, we crawled 200k+ print on demand shops on September 28, 2023 – and analyzed the information on their put in apps, area of interest, web site rankings, and way more!
Let’s dive proper in.
6 Key Print on Demand Statistics in 2023 (Editor’s Picks)
Listed below are the six most important and thrilling print on demand statistics!
Disclaimer: Resulting from minor imperfections of the crawling system, please know that we will not assure 100% accuracy of the information and, thus, the statistics we discovered. However, we’re assured that these statistics carefully symbolize actuality because of the great amount of knowledge captured.
1. Two-thirds of print on demand shops use Printful
- The important thing takeaway: Printful is the most well-liked print on demand provider.
Have you ever heard of Printful?
If you have not, you are about to.
A whopping 67.6% (sure, you learn that proper!) of all print on demand shops use Printful as their provider.
Why is that?
Properly, maybe it is their user-friendly interface, or possibly their huge vary of merchandise, or it may even be their stellar customer support.
Most probably, it is a mixture of all (and extra).
In fact, different suppliers like Printify (30.4%), AOP+ (10%), and Gelato (6.7%) additionally maintain their respective market shares.
However, for now, Printful is the most well-liked by far.
A small bonus statistic: Round 12% of print on demand shops use Printful and Printify collectively!
Be taught extra:
2. High-performing attire print on demand shops promote between $50 and $100 on common
- The important thing takeaway: You do not have to compete on product pricing.
If you wish to promote attire in your POD retailer, you could surprise, ‘How a lot can I realistically count on clients to spend on my retailer?’
Properly, we have some encouraging information for you!
Essentially the most profitable attire print on demand shops typically have a mean product value between $50 and $100.
It tells us that clients are prepared to spend when you provide distinctive, well-designed, high-quality attire!
Be taught extra: Dropshipping Pricing Technique: The Definitive Information (2023)
3. The success price of print on demand is 24%
- The important thing takeaway: Whereas print on demand has its challenges, it is attainable to search out long-term success.
Doing print on demand can generally really feel like a rollercoaster.
You may have your highs, lows, and people in-between moments the place you are not sure when you’re heading up or down.
However this is a reasonably eye-opening stat: out of all of the print on demand shops created, about 24% are nonetheless lively after three years.
This stat may sound a bit intimidating, however on the similar time, it may be a reminder of the significance of constantly studying, adapting, and being persistent.
4. There’s a clear correlation between a print on demand retailer’s age and its web site rating
- The important thing takeaway: Persistence with print on demand can result in higher web site rankings, driving extra gross sales.
This is one other perception: the longer a print on demand retailer has been round, the higher its web site tends to rank.
The graph under reveals the typical web site rating of POD shops based mostly on their yr of creation.
The y-axis represents the highest X% of web site rating, with 0% indicating one of the best rating and 100% indicating the worst:
This implies that shops which have caught round are seemingly doing many issues proper.
Assume search engine optimisation optimizations, high quality backlinks, participating content material, and, after all, top-notch buyer evaluations.
In case you’re simply beginning, don’t be concerned an excessive amount of about this.
Each long-standing retailer as soon as began from scratch, identical to you.
With constant effort, over time, you’ll be able to climb these ladders too!
Be taught extra: 15 Most Profitable Print on Demand Retailer Examples in 2023
5. The estimated common conversion price of a print on demand retailer is 1.7%
- The important thing takeaway: A 1.7% conversion price is the business common for POD shops.
You’ve got seemingly heard the time period ‘conversion price’ earlier than, and for a superb cause.
It is a metric that tells you what number of of your web site guests are literally making a purchase order.
From our knowledge of over 200k print on demand shops, we will estimate that the typical conversion price is 1.7%.
So, reaching (or surpassing) this price means you are properly on this half!
6. Curiosity in print on demand grew by 300% within the final 5 years
- The important thing takeaway: The print on demand business is rising strongly!
In keeping with Google Traits, curiosity in print on demand has grown by round 300% within the final 5 years:
That is equal to a yearly progress of round 32%!
However what’s inflicting this? We expect there are just a few causes:
- There’s the enchantment of low upfront prices for freshmen.
- There’s the personalization side that clients love.
- There is a sustainable angle of manufacturing solely when there is a demand (lowering waste).
And lastly, there have been vital technological enhancements in these years, permitting for higher printing strategies and a way more intensive number of merchandise out there for print on demand!
Be taught extra: Begin a Print on Demand Enterprise in 2023 (8 Steps)
26 Extra print on demand statistics
Do you know that Impulse is the commonest premium theme for print on demand shops?
Or that, on common, print on demand shops with a weblog are extra profitable than these with out one?
In case you discover these stats fascinating, learn on!
Tip: It’s also possible to discover our checklist of dropshipping statistics right here!
The print on demand market
Let’s begin with some statistics concerning the print on demand market:
7. The POD market measurement in 2022 was $6.18 billion and is predicted to develop at a CAGR of 25.8% from 2023 to 2030
- The important thing takeaway: Now could be one of the best time to get into print on demand.
With a worth of $6.18 billion in 2022, it is clear that the print on demand business shouldn’t be small.
Plus, the market is predicted to develop at a formidable CAGR of 25.8% between 2023 and 2030.
So, when you’ve been contemplating beginning with print on demand, there isn’t any higher time than now!
8. 4.9% of all on-line shops do print on demand
- The important thing takeaway: In case you’ve ever thought of beginning a POD retailer, you are not alone.
There are a whole lot of hundreds of on-line shops providing every part from dietary supplements to furnishings.
And between all of those shops, a noteworthy 4.9% are concerned in print on demand.
In different phrases, nearly one in twenty on-line shops are print on demand shops!
This is one other fascinating statistic: 11.4% of all Shopify shops do print on demand.
This makes Shopify the most well-liked ecommerce platform for print on demand by far!
Tip: Have you ever already created your Shopify account? If not, join by clicking this hyperlink right here to get a free 3-day trial + pay $1/month for the primary 3 months!
9. There are round 228,000 lively print on demand shops
- The important thing takeaway: This variety of lively POD shops signifies the attractiveness of this enterprise mannequin.
With low startup prices, no want for stock, and the flexibility to focus on area of interest markets, it is no surprise entrepreneurs are organising POD outlets!
10. 65% of print on demand shops fail inside one yr
- The important thing takeaway: Beginning a print on demand retailer comes with challenges, particularly within the preliminary levels.
Have you ever ever heard the well-known assertion that 90% of on-line companies fail inside the first yr?
In keeping with our knowledge, that is not essentially the case for print on demand.
As an alternative, we discovered that round 65% of print on demand shops do not make it previous their first birthday.
However why is it nonetheless such a excessive share?
Like many startups and on-line companies, print on demand requires extra than simply organising a retailer and ready for gross sales.
It is a recreation of technique, persistence, and steady adaptation.
You have to be good at market analysis, designing merchandise, pricing methods, advertising and marketing efforts, and customer support – each side is essential to a retailer’s success (or lack thereof).
Be taught extra: Print On Demand Fundamentals: 5 Issues Each Newbie Ought to Know
11. Round 0.6% of lively print on demand shops use Shopify Plus
- The important thing takeaway: Although solely a choose group of POD shops use Shopify Plus, it reveals the expansion potential within the business.
Most print on demand companies select Shopify as their ecommerce platform.
And from these POD shops, round 0.6% use Shopify Plus.
Why so few?
Shopify Plus is for high-growth, high-volume companies.
For these simply beginning or within the rising section, common Shopify plans provide all the mandatory instruments and assets.
Be taught extra: Shopify Pricing Plans Information: Which One Is the Finest? (2023)
12. A print on demand retailer sells 44 totally different merchandise on common
- The important thing takeaway: It is essential to steadiness amount with high quality and guarantee every product enhances your model’s general imaginative and prescient.
On common, a print on demand retailer presents 44 totally different merchandise.
This reveals the flexibility of print on demand; you’ll be able to promote something from customized t-shirts, hoodies, and mugs to notebooks, telephone circumstances, and even wall artwork!
However keep in mind, it is not nearly amount.
Guarantee every product aligns along with your model, is of top of the range, and serves a objective in your retailer.
Be taught extra: The 19 Finest Promoting Print on Demand Merchandise in 2023
13. A prime 10% print on demand retailer sells 160 totally different merchandise on common
- The important thing takeaway: As your retailer grows, you’ll in all probability add extra merchandise.
This statistic means that the top-performing print on demand shops sometimes have a broader product providing than the overall dataset.
Nevertheless, it is vital to notice that the modal (most steadily occurring) variety of merchandise offered is ten merchandise.
So, when you’re a newbie, begin with a small choice, and as you perceive your viewers higher, you’ll be able to progressively broaden!
Be taught extra: How Many Merchandise Ought to You Need to Begin Dropshipping?
14. Print on demand shops with increased costs are typically extra profitable
- The important thing takeaway: Success in print on demand is not all the time about being the most cost effective possibility.
You may suppose that aggressive pricing (learn: cheaper) can be the ticket to success with print on demand.
Maybe surprisingly, it appears to be the other.
Under, you’ll be able to see a scatter plot of the web site rating of the highest 10% of POD shops vs. their common product value:
Whereas there is no such thing as a clear visible distinction, we discovered that the correlation coefficient is roughly -0.109, indicating a slight destructive correlation; because the product value will increase, the rating tends to be higher (decrease).
With increased costs, shops typically place themselves as premium manufacturers, resulting in higher revenue margins and making a notion of superior high quality and exclusivity.
In fact, it is not nearly including a excessive price ticket to your objects.
Profitable higher-priced shops typically focus closely on branding, product high quality, customer support, and storytelling.
They improve your entire buying expertise, which justifies the upper costs.
Be taught extra: Enhancing Your POD Enterprise: The Energy of Branded Packaging
15. The median variety of month-to-month guests for the highest 10% of print on demand shops is 1,978.
- The important thing takeaway: If in case you have over 1,978 month-to-month guests to your POD retailer, you are already forward of many others!
One of many metrics that companies typically obsess over is web site site visitors.
Once we have a look at the highest 10% of print on demand shops, we discover that they’ve a median of 1,978 guests each month:
For up-and-coming POD retailer house owners, this quantity can function a motivational benchmark!
16. On common, the highest 1% of print on demand shops add 7 new merchandise on daily basis
- The important thing takeaway: Whereas the quantity may be bold for a lot of, the precept of persistently providing contemporary, related merchandise is a game-changer in POD.
Let’s take a second to soak up that the highest 1% of print on demand shops add 7 new merchandise every day.
By constantly introducing contemporary designs and merchandise, they preserve their present buyer base engaged whereas attracting new eyes to their collections.
On common, the highest 1% of POD shops added:
- 76 Merchandise within the final 30 days
- 1,823 Merchandise within the final 90 days
- 2,550 Merchandise within the final three hundred and sixty five days
Be taught extra: 8 Finest Limitless Design Providers for Print on Demand (2023)
17. 3.8% of print on demand shops have an estimated month-to-month income of over $50k
- The important thing takeaway: The POD business holds immense potential for profitability, with some shops pulling in substantial month-to-month revenues.
A powerful 3.8% of print on demand shops have an estimated month-to-month income surpassing $50,000!
The shops that obtain these numbers have in all probability spent appreciable effort and time in market analysis, constructing buyer relationships, optimizing their product lineup, and refining their gross sales methods.
It reveals that reaching such income milestones is certainly attainable!
One fascinating commentary: when dropshipping shops, simply 1.5% had an estimated month-to-month income of over $50k. (Supply)
Be taught extra: 11 Superb Tricks to Enhance Dropshipping Gross sales in 2023
18. 75.8% of the highest 10% of print on demand shops are primarily promoting within the US, adopted by Canada (5.7%) and the UK (5.3%)
- The important thing takeaway: The US’s robust ecommerce infrastructure and huge client base make it a hotspot for top-performing POD shops.
The USA claims the title for having essentially the most top-performing print on demand shops.
And guess what? It isn’t even shut.
Check out this chart displaying the geographical distribution of the highest POD shops:
As you’ll be able to see, different well-liked international locations for print on demand shops embody Canada, the UK, Australia, Germany, France, and the Netherlands.
Be taught extra: 14 Finest US Print on Demand Suppliers in 2023 (Quick Transport)
- The important thing takeaway: Africa is a difficult print on demand market, though it might have potential when you’re prepared to take the chance.
Solely about 0.2% of print on demand shops function in Africa.
Components like a scarcity of POD suppliers, various web accessibility, totally different buying behaviors, and logistical challenges make it a posh area.
Nevertheless, who is aware of?
As infrastructure improves, there’s an opportunity for early adopters to determine themselves as leaders within the African POD house.
Be taught extra: 10+ Finest Nations for Dropshipping in 2023 (& 5 to Keep away from)
20. 41.7% of print on demand shops primarily promote attire
- The important thing takeaway: Attire dominates the print on demand business because of its ease of entry and common enchantment.
Virtually half – 41.7% to be exact – of POD shops largely promote garments.
This makes attire the most well-liked print on demand class by far:
Attire is adopted by House & Backyard (6.9% of POD shops) and Arts & Leisure (5.9% of POD shops).
There are a number of the reason why attire is such a big class.
First, nearly all POD suppliers provide attire, making it simpler to start out an attire POD retailer. Plus, everybody wants garments!
Be taught extra: Dropship Clothes With Print on Demand (7 Ideas)
Apps and themes
Subsequent, we’ve got some insightful statistics about apps and themes for POD shops:
21. 63.1% of the highest 1% of print on demand shops have put in greater than ten apps
- The important thing takeaway: The perfect print on demand shops use a number of apps to enhance their web site.
Do you know that 63.1% of essentially the most profitable print on demand shops have greater than ten apps put in?
These apps can add new options, automate duties, present deeper insights, or just make a web site extra participating for its guests.
Nevertheless, do not forget that it is high quality over amount in the case of apps.
Solely add new apps to your retailer once they genuinely add worth.
In any other case, they may decelerate your web site!
Be taught extra: 12 Finest Print on Demand Shopify Apps in 2023 (Free & Paid)
22. The typical print on demand shops spends round $76 per thirty days on apps
- The important thing takeaway: For POD shops, the month-to-month spend on apps is much less an expenditure and extra an funding in steady progress.
When beginning a web based retailer, there’s an abundance of instruments that promise to make your life simpler.
And for print on demand shops, that is no exception.
On common, print on demand shops make investments roughly $76 each month to entry varied apps:
From the visualization, we will observe:
- Most print on demand shops spend beneath $100 month-to-month on apps.
- There is a sharp decline within the variety of shops because the month-to-month app spend will increase.
- Just a few shops have a really excessive month-to-month app spend, which may be seen in the suitable tail of the histogram.
This may sound like simply one other expenditure on paper, however apps could be a nice funding.
For instance, they can be utilized to enhance consumer expertise, function extra effectively, increase your advertising and marketing, and extra!
Be taught extra: 10 Finest Print on Demand Instruments for Your Enterprise in 2023
23. The most well-liked evaluate app for print on demand shops is Choose.me
- The important thing takeaway: A product evaluate app can assist you optimize your POD retailer!
Earlier than making a purchase order, clients typically search validation from their fellow consumers.
They will discover that validation by studying product evaluations.
That is why round 12.2% of lively print on demand shops put in the Choose.me product evaluate app!
With options like picture and video evaluations, Q&A sections, and even social media sharing, it is no surprise that this app is so well-liked.
Be taught extra: Get Product Opinions on Shopify? (Even With No Gross sales)
24. Most print on demand shops provide PayPal, adopted by Apple Pay, Store Pay, and Google Pay
- The important thing takeaway: Provide PayPal, Apple Pay, Store Pay, and Google Pay as cost strategies in your retailer.
PayPal stays the most well-liked cost gateway on POD shops, adopted by the cost providers Apple Pay, Store Pay, and Google Pay.
When shopping for objects on-line, individuals need to make the cost course of as clean as attainable, and that is the place cost gateways are available in.
PayPal is the clear winner, however different gamers like Apple Pay, Store Pay, and Google Pay usually are not far behind.
Be taught extra: The 4 Finest Fee Gateway Combos for Dropshipping
25. The commonest premium themes for print on demand shops are Impulse, Movement, and Warehouse
- The important thing takeaway: Widespread decisions for premium themes are Impulse, Status, and Movement.
In case you’re trying to give your POD retailer an expert look, contemplate one in every of these well-liked premium themes from the Shopify Theme Retailer.
Impulse, which inserts very properly with style shops, is the most well-liked premium theme for print on demand shops:
Keep in mind, attire is the most well-liked print on demand area of interest, so that is in all probability the explanation why Impulse is so well-liked!
Be taught extra: 11 Finest Shopify Themes for Print on Demand in 2023
26. 5.4% of print on demand shops use a web page builder, with the most well-liked one being PageFly
- The important thing takeaway: You do not want fancy instruments to achieve print on demand, however a web page builder like PageFly can provide you an edge.
Regardless of the massive variety of web page builders out there, solely a small variety of print on demand shops use one.
Nevertheless, 5.4% of POD shops use PageFly, which can assist you customise your on-line retailer, enhance the consumer expertise, and in the end improve conversions.
So, whereas it is not a requirement for achievement in print on demand, it is value contemplating if you wish to stand out!
Be taught extra: PageFly Assessment: Nice Touchdown Pages for Shopify? (2023)
Advertising and marketing
Listed below are six extra advertising and marketing print on demand statistics:
27. 22.5% of lively print on demand shops have a weblog
- The important thing takeaway: Running a blog presents varied advantages on your POD retailer.
Typically it is not nearly merchandise however relatively concerning the story.
22.5% of lively print on demand shops have acknowledged this and have a weblog.
Blogs can enhance a web site’s search rankings, making it simpler for potential clients to find the shop.
Plus, they permit manufacturers to showcase their experience and preserve clients on their websites longer.
Right here is one other fascinating chart that reveals the commonest options carried out by print on demand shops:
- The important thing takeaway: A model’s social footprint could be a reflection of its success.
The mixed common social following of the highest 1% of POD shops is 897,178 followers throughout platforms like Fb, Instagram, Pinterest, TikTok, Twitter, and YouTube.
So, with every submit, story, or tweet, these top-tier shops can probably attain near 1,000,000 individuals.
It is a highly effective advertising and marketing device!
29. Print on demand shops with a weblog are extra profitable than these with out one
- The important thing takeaway: In case you’re contemplating including a weblog to your POD retailer, strive it!
Print on demand shops with a weblog, on common, have an internet site rating that is 1,982,502 positions increased.
The decrease the web site rating, the higher.
So, which means that shops with a weblog are inclined to carry out higher by way of net site visitors and probably gross sales!
30. Free supply is an important on-line buy driver, encouraging 49.4% of customers
- The important thing takeaway: Free supply is king!
Do you know that just about half of web shoppers are motivated to click on ‘purchase’ by free supply?
That is proper – in accordance with latest knowledge, 49.4% of customers contemplate free supply as essentially the most important issue when making a web based buy.
So when you’re trying to entice extra clients, you may need to contemplate providing this candy perk to your clients.
Who can resist free delivery, proper?
Be taught extra: How Do Dropshipping Websites Provide Free Transport Worldwide?
31. The TikTok Pixel is put in on about 14.8% of print on demand shops
- The important thing takeaway: TikTok Adverts may be an underrated advertising and marketing methodology.
Similar to different social media pixels, the TikTok Pixel permits shops to trace customers’ behaviors after they work together with a TikTok advert.
About 14.8% of POD shops have put in the TikTok pixel, which implies the identical share or much less use TikTok Adverts!
Given TikTok’s reputation, we’re shocked that comparatively few print on demand shops use TikTok Adverts as a part of their advertising and marketing methods.
Be taught extra: Dropshipping With TikTok: A Newbie’s Information for 2023
32. On common, print on demand shops have essentially the most followers on YouTube
The important thing takeaway: YouTube appears to be an awesome social platform for POD shops because of its mixture of visible storytelling and enormous attain.
After we analyzed the social media accounts of lively print on demand shops, we discovered the next:
- YouTube has the best common followers, with roughly 125,396 followers.
- TikTok is available in second with round 93,077 followers.
- Instagram is shut behind, with roughly 78,352 followers.
- Twitter has a mean of 68,956 followers.
- Fb has round 64,571 followers on common.
- Pinterest has the fewest common followers, with about 2,386 followers.
Earlier than we go to the conclusion, we have created a fast abstract of this text for you so you’ll be able to simply keep in mind it:
- The perfect time to start out with print on demand was yesterday, however the second-best time is right this moment!
- Resulting from its reputation, Printful appears to be an awesome POD provider.
- You do not all the time should compete on costs.
- Print on demand comes with challenges initially, however when you persevere, your probability of success will increase!
- Most print on demand shops promote attire and goal the US.
So, what have we realized?
Success in POD is all about being strategic, actually providing what your clients need, and utilizing the suitable digital instruments.
However keep in mind, it is not about making an attempt to do every part.
It is extra about understanding which instruments, objects, and designs suit your type and your model one of the best.
Lastly, when you appreciated these print on demand statistics, take a look at our checklist of dropshipping statistics right here!
Spoiler: A lot of them apply to print on demand as properly.
Better of luck along with your print on demand retailer!
Wish to be taught extra about POD?
Prepared to maneuver your print on demand retailer to the following degree? Take a look at the articles under:
Plus, don’t neglect to take a look at our in-depth easy methods to begin a print on demand enterprise information right here!